1/30/12

REVIEW L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base by Studio Secrets Professional

source
The worst face primer I have ever used is L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base.

Pulled this from the website: "Introducing Studio Secret Professional Magic Perfecting Base for instant smoothing results. Get the perfect skin texture, instantly and all day. The silky, lightweight formula glides onto skin and minimizes the look of pores and fine lines.... The formula is 100% oil - and fragance-free, non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic."

I purchased this at Shopper's Drug Mart for $16.

The good:
1) It gave my skin a velvety feel.

2) The pink colour is not pigmented when applied to skin (which I was afraid of) and it is colourless on application.

The bad:
1) It broke me out worse than ever. You guys know I have extremely sensitive, acne-prone, oily skin. Emphasis on the sensitive part. I don't know what specific ingredient made me break out but this product was definitely the culprit. The weird part is that the box lists the product as being "non-comedogenic" and "non-acnegenic". Obviously, this was not the case. My face was not only broken out but felt rough, bumpy, and was flushed all over. I suspect I might have had an allergic reaction to this product.

2) It did not minimize my pores at all.

3) It did not extend the life of my foundation! My foundation was basically dripping off my face by the end of my 9-hour day. With my other primers, this does not happen, so I know it's the L'Oreal base that fails.

4) It was difficult to spread on my face. You need a large amount of this product to cover your entire face, so it's actually terrible value for your money.

5) The product is in a pot instead of a tube, so it's less hygienic, especially for someone with my skin-type.


The bottom line: Purchase this product at your own risk. It might give you an allergic reaction (like it did me), and the only thing it does is make your skin feel soft to touch. It does not minimize pores, fine lines, or blur blemishes. It's a drugstore product so it's relatively cheaper than some of the primers sold at Sephora, but it's not worth it for this price. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for something that just smooths your skin, and with all the negative consequences of using this product, I'm definitely NOT repurchasing.

Thanks for reading. I'm reviewing the Too Faced Primed and Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer next!

P.S. Have you entered my giveaway for a free 1 month sub to Fotolia?

6 comments:

  1. I just keep all face products off my face. Other than my Olay original moisturizer and the occasional astringent. I've had acne for nearly 10 years and the only thing I've learned from it is that applying ANY sort of make up on your skin will only make it worse or prolong the years you have acne. In the long run it's terrible for you, even if it covers nicely for the night out.

    From my experience (and I have terribly sensitive skin as well) I just wash it normally with some light/sensitive face wash, some moisturizer at night, and rinse it once or twice during the day and when I get home. It's going away slowly but much faster than if I had make up on it.

    Make up (foundation, powder, etc) is no bueno for your skin :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, your skin sounds like my skin from when I was 14 until I was in my early 20s :( I hope you find something that's right for your skin with the thousands of products available these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw.. sorry that this product doesn't suit your skin.
    I like the packaging, makes it look interesting. But, too bad the result isn't good ):

    Cheers,
    Dreamy Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg really? that sucks! I have break outs and oily skin too and my friend told me it was good I was gna buy it! Thanks for the review!


    http://thebestthingaboutbeingagirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice morning!

    For more information http://www.worlddiamondsource.com/ , please visit website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this because it had a lot of great reviews but after using it once my skin broke out into a red, bumpy, itchy rash. Now I'm dealing with my face being hot, itching and throbbing. Threw it out!

    ReplyDelete

I'm creeping your comments... <3

Twitter: @svnnyc
Instag: @nobangsclub

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...