7/8/12

the beach

Me and my sister Jenny
Jenny and Grandma
Dad
Grandparents
Mom in the late 80's
Above are some photos I found on my mom's camera; she must have taken photos of some old prints.

I went beach hopping with (most of) my family yesterday. The weather was gorgeous: not too hot but sunny enough to swim in the water. Lots of sunscreen was used. We stopped by Crescent Beach for a couple hours, and then White Rock.

Jacqueline (my baby cousin), Jenny, me, and Grandma

My mother likes photography. I get really annoyed whenever I spot her clutching her pink Sony Cybershot at family events or outings but now that I think about it, I understand why she would like to hold onto a piece of the present.

Because the present becomes the past, and once a moment has passed, you can't get it back.

My mom has gigantic photo albums hidden in her walk-in closet (remember when people would stick printed photos in physical albums and not just upload digital ones to Facebook? yeah, me neither :P) which I used to love flipping through as a kid. It's weird seeing tinier versions of yourself doing things that you don't do anymore right in front of you, eyes fixed and frozen in time.

I can also spot a few photos where I'm giving the "obviously fake smile" (the one I use when I want to show I'm angry that someone is taking my photo -- almost always, that someone is my mom), even though the change in my smile is miniscule and certainly undetectable by others. I find this ability a comfort, that I above all others can tell when my smile is sincere or an act.

And I think I inherited my mother's love of portraits and photographs of people.

What's that super cheesy saying about a picture...?

Yeah, the one you're thinking right now.

With a minor adjustment. Those words are in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes they may be aligned with reality, and sometimes they may be aligned with the unconscious.

6 comments:

  1. such a wonderful post :) my family always take pictures as well xD literally EVERYTIME and EVERYWHERE :'D haha
    but you all look so pretty :)) and thanks for sharing your childhood pictures!

    xoxo FlirtingwithFashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at old family photos as well. I'm guessing the parents know about your tattoo now, how did it go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom thought it was not too bad, a little classier than the rest. "At least it wasn't a skull" is what she said in Chinese hahahah. My dad doesn't know still... Unless he comes back I would think it highly unlikely that he'll find out lol.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I really love your photos. Such an awesomeness.

    cnovreica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are so precious, Sunny. Coming from a Chinese family, these really harken back some memories for me as well. I still flip through old photos of me when I was a child in China once in a while and I get this incredible nostalgic melancholy feeling, at the bottom of my stomach. You ever get that?

    I never asked you this, but what part of China were you from? How old were you when you came here?

    I really, really like your bathing suit. I never do things with my family anymore and I'm so removed from my culture I kind of feel ashamed.

    This must be most revealing comment I've ever posted on your blog. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such precious pictures!

    http://ashashumbleabode.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'm creeping your comments... <3

Twitter: @svnnyc
Instag: @nobangsclub

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...