11/17/16

Objets d' Arc at VAL + "Ocean Girl" seeking collab

Hi, everyone! Sorry I've been so absent on my blog this fall. I've been auditioning lots and working on cool indie projects. I've also curated my first art/music show, performed live for the first time as my musical alias Sad China, and attended the first session of The Future Is You and Me workshops (aimed to empower women of colour artists) in October alone.

The event I curated, Objets d' Arc, was also an evening for community empowerment, especially for young, emerging femme-identifying artists. Od'A featured femme-identifying artists Miki Aurora, ACE duo, Kyla James, Simone Sylvan, Liz Kim, Elli Zogia, Nina Chwelos, Samia Sun, and Zhamak Fullad, with DJ Rachel Fay spinning tunes throughout the night. The full album of photos from the show are uploaded onto my official Facebook page here, for your viewing pleasure. Video footage of the performances will be uploaded onto my Youtube channel soon.

Photography by Zheesus
The art scene can be exclusionary and toxic for femme-identifying individuals. I have had my own share of predatory situations and misogyny, perpetrated by the very people (i.e. older male artists) who should have mentored me, instead of sexually exploiting and objectifying me. I have been very honest about my personal experiences as a young WOC artist in my Sad China EP, particularly on "Community?" and "Is It That Bad?", but I know there are stories that have yet to be told. I urge you now, if you have a voice in our community, stand with me, lean on me, and we can tell our stories.

Recently, I released my latest track "Ocean Girl" as a healing song for femmes in our community, my femme-identifying friends, and myself. The song uses the ocean as a way to overcome our past abuse, and signify our continuous rebirth. I identify with the powerful, vast force of nature, and I want you to as well. We are stronger than a hurricane. We are an ocean.

I'm looking forward to creating the visual concept for the "Ocean Girl" music video, and be ready to shoot by April 2017. If you are a videographer wanting to collab for this project, please do email me.

Last but not least, I want to thank Vancouver Art and Leisure (a.k.a. Gallery 1965) for giving me this space. This venue has been like a second home to me, ever since I started working door in January. Thank you for providing emerging artists with opportunities and support, like the way you provided for me and my artists.

1 comment:

  1. looks cool :) I need to visit more art events as well ;D

    Spring Homedecor - read more

    Check out my Insta / Google+ and stay tuned ♥Instagram
    Google✚

    Stay Gold

    ReplyDelete

I'm creeping your comments... <3

Twitter: @svnnyc
Instag: @nobangsclub

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...